Interactive television is becoming a new MOBILE technology that’s enabling shows like Ellen DeGeneres to connect with viewers worldwide. It’s an exciting new audience experience that allows for real-time interaction and sharing information such as video says James Dean @ iHumanMedia.com.
Millions of people are watching from their smartphone and tablets to interact with shows like Ellen DeGeneres, Bill O’Reilly and live events with Twitter and YouTube streaming video in political debates with Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Today, over $5 Billion in revenue is spent on interactive TV advertising. About 85% target MOBILE Internet devices.
Forget Megyn Kelly, just imagine if YOU, the viewer could debate Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton on LIVE SOCIAL TELEVISION BROADCASTS using Android apps.
What is Social Television?
The term “social TV” or “social television” refers the interaction between television and social networks. While watching a program, viewers interact on social networks, especially Twitter. They can ask questions, vote or comment about a particular topic.
Google Android TV is leading the charge for social television for MOBILE users. It’s a technology that’s been under development for many years now. And, we expect a major acquisition to occur in this technology space with Google, Apple and Microsoft leading the industry towards a “Social TV Network App” like Twitter that enhances the viewer experience across all devices says James Dean @ iHumanMedia.com.
Social Television: some statistics
- 7.2 million users have already commented on a TV program. Most of them are aged between 15 and 34 years: this age group represents 35% of Internet users who interact on social networks during the broadcast.
- 55% of tablet users use their devices in front of the television at least once a week. 58% of the users interact using their PC and 45% for smartphones.
- During 2015, Tweets exchanged about TV programs grew by 270%
- Reality shows triggered the most interaction (48% of comments).
Real-Time Interactive TV Programs
Twitter is mostly used to interact in real-time with TV programs :
- tweet and retweet in neutral way (to get the hashtag of the TV programs).
- support a candidate of a reality show
- advise, initiate discussions and participate .
Using the right hashtags
- TV shows have their own hashtag, usually displayed at the bottom of the screen or announced by the television host. For prime time TV shows or those with a strong audience, the the hashtag will quickly rise in the “Trending topics” of Twitter .
- To comment about a TV show its better to use the official hashtag.
Research Topics …
Direct-response Interactive TV
Interactive request-for-information Ads (iRFI)
Targeted Advertising Systems
Targeted T-coupons (T for Television)
Target Market (TV)